(and several other varieties)
Health and Nutritional Benefits
Chive microgreen can boost the flavor and nutritional value of any dish.
- They are low on calories, with only 30 calories per 100 grams, but packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Thus, they aid in healthy digestion and weight control.
- Chives microgreen have components that promote skin health, including vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc.
- They are also rich in calcium and vitamin K that contribute to improved bone health and the prevention of neuronal damage that may cause Alzheimer’s disease.
- Lutein found in chives promotes eye health.
- Their potassium, iron, vitamin B, magnesium, phosphorus, riboflavin, thiamin, and niacin content are essential vitamins and minerals that help in promoting body repair and improved functioning, specifically the regulation of blood pressure, nerve health, and metabolism.
- Allicin can be created from thiosulfonates in chives through a natural enzymatic process. Allicin compound has been found to lower bad cholesterol and blood pressure and also fights virus, bacteria, and fungi.
- Fresh chives are rich in folates that are essential in DNA synthesis and cellular reproduction. Folic acid, derived from folates, is good for pregnant women as it aids in preventing birth defects.