Endive Leafy Green
(and several other varieties)
Health and Nutritional Benefits
Endives and escarole are packed with a lot of plant nutrients such as what you would expect from a leafy green vegetable. It is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
One serving of endives can boost your health. 100 grams of fresh endive leafy green provides:
It is a very low-calorie vegetable. 100 grams of the leafy green contains just 17 calories, making it desirable for your weight control. It also provides 8% of the daily required intake of fiber.
- Endive leafy green is rich in vitamins A, C, and K, beta-carotene and folate (B9). It has a moderate content of dietary minerals, particularly manganese, iron, zinc, calcium, and phosphorus, and the electrolyte potassium.
- Studies suggest that the high amounts of inulin and fiber content in endives aid in reducing LDL cholesterol and glucose in obese and diabetic patients.
- Certain important compounds in endive and escarole have been found to have anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor properties.
- Vitamin and b-carotene in endives have antioxidant properties for healthy mucosa and skin, eyesight, and protection from lung and oral cavity cancers.
- The good amounts of many essential B-complex groups it contains are useful for metabolism
You can indulge in the taste, culinary and nutritional benefits from endive leafy green by growing it yourself, which is easy and enjoyable.